Has your dog eaten raisins or your cat chewed chives?

November 7, 2020

As a vet that serves Purleigh as well as the areas around Purleigh, Maldon & Burnham-on-Crouch we often receive cases of poisoning over the festive period. So, to help avoid festive foodie fails, below we’ve listed five Christmas foods that can be poisonous to our dogs and cats.

If your pet ingests any of the foods below please contact us immediately for advice.

Emergency Contact

1. Chocolate

Contains a chemical called theobromine, a stimulant, which is poisonous to dogs. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures which can be seen 4-24 hours after ingestion and in extreme cases can be fatal.

2. Onions, Garlic, Chives

Contain thiosulphate, which is poisonous to cats and dogs whether eaten raw, cooked or even on left over pizza. Signs of poisoning are seen 2-4 days after ingestion and include lethargy, breathlessness, vomiting and diarrhoea.

3. Alcohol

Alcohol is much more toxic to dogs than humans. Ingestion of food or drink containing even small amounts of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, co-ordination issues, depression, tremors, coma and death.

4. Raisins, Currants and Grapes

These fruits are toxic whether ingested alone or when incorporated in cakes & puddings. Symptoms can take several days to appear and include loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and excessive drinking.

5. Macadamia Nuts

Can cause weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and a high temperature in dogs. Signs develop within 12 hours of ingestion, can last 12-48 hours but should be treated immediately.

Beware of Bones

Bones are a common treat for dogs. However, they can cause problems as bone splinters can get lodged in their digestive tract and eating too many can cause severe constipation. If you must give bones, then uncooked are preferable and close supervision is essential.

What to do in a pet emergency

If you know your pet has ingested any of these foods, you should; Contact us immediately on 01621 828381. Please don’t wait for symptoms to appear as this may take hours or even days and early treatment is critical. We have emergency cover throughout the holiday period.

Note the amount of the suspect food eaten. When you attend the surgery please bring all the wrappers or containers the food was in.

Emergency Contact

Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies